Human AI teaming Knowledge and Understanding for aviation safety
It is essential both for safe operations, and for society in general, that the people who currently keep aviation so safe can work with, train and supervise these AI systems, and that future autonomous AI systems make judgements and decisions that would be acceptable to humans. HAIKU will pave the way for human-centric-AI by developing new AI-based ‘Digital Assistants’, and associated Human-AI Teaming practices, guidance and assurance processes, via the exploration of interactive AI prototypes in a wide range of aviation contexts.
Therefore, HAIKU will:
- Design and develop a set of AI assistants, demonstrated in the different use cases.
- Develop a comprehensive Human Factors design guidance and methods capability (‘HF4AI’) on how to develop safe, effective and trustworthy Digital Assistants for Aviation, integrating and expanding on existing state-of-the-art guidance.
- Conduct controlled experiments with high operational relevance – illustrating the tasks, roles, autonomy and team performance of the Digital Assistant in a range of normal and emergency scenarios
- Develop new safety and validation assurance methods for Digital Assistants, to facilitate early integration into aviation systems by aviation stakeholders and regulatory authorities
- Deliver guidance on socially acceptable AI in safety critical operations, and for maintaining aviation’sstrong safety record.
- Deep Blue Italy DBL 2 EUROCONTROL Belgium ECTL 3 FerroNATS Air Traffic Services Spain FerroNATS 4 Center for Human Performance Research Netherlands CHPR 5 Linköping University Sweden LiU 6 Thales AVS France TAVS 7 Institute Polytechnique de Bordeaux France Bordeaux INP 8 Centre Aquitain des Technologies del’Information Electroniques France CATIE 9 Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz Germany DFKI 10 Engineering Ingegneria Informatica SpA Italy ENG 11 Luftfartsverket, Air Navigation Service Provider Sweden Sweden LFV 12 Ecole Nationale De L’aviation Civile France ENAC 13 TUI Airways Ltd United Kingdom TUI 14 Suite5 Data Intelligence Solutions Limited Cyprus Suite5 15 Airholding SA Portugal EMBRT 16 Embraer SA Brazil EMBSA 17 Ethniko Kentro Erevnas Kai Technologikis Anaptyxis Greece CERTH 18 London Luton Airport Operations Ltd United Kingdom LLA